Robert McCabe Senior started business in 1930 by importing corks from Portugal and selling them to the pub trade. He opened his first premises on John Street, Drogheda in 1932 selling paper bags and corks to butchers and retail.
In 1970 Robert McCabe Junior joined the business during a very transitional period in the industry. This was a time when plastic high density bags were introduced to the market replacing paper in butchers and grocery shops. In 1971 a fire in the John street premises resulted in the company having to relocate and move to Mell, Drogheda in 1972.
The John Street premise was rebuilt and in 1984 the company moved back to its original location. The company then moved to Constitution Hill in 1991 before finally moving to Boyne Business Park in 2005 where the company now resides.
The introduction of the tax levy on plastic bags in the early 2000s resulted in an increased demand for paper products. These paper products required more space than plastic which was why a move to a bigger warehouse in Boyne Business Park was imminent.
In 2017, Roberts’s son Andrew joined the business as a 3rd generation family member and is looking to steer the company towards more environmentally friendly products.